Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The "Let it Go" phenomenon.

Noah likes to sing "Let it Go" the new song from Disney's Frozen.  He doesn't know all the lyrics, but enjoys singing the chorus over and over in his best rock and roll singing voice.  On facebook I've seen videos of the song done by a voice actor, an african choir and a dad who does a parody of how tired of the song he is.  I'll admit it's a catchy tune from a cute Disney movie.  But why have people gravitated so much to it?  From the time I first heard it as we watched the movie in the theatres the song has struck me as a perfect song to describe the postmodern movement.

Here are some of the lyrics:

Don’t let them in, don’t let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Conceal, don’t feel, don’t let them know
Well, now they know

Let it go, let it go

Can’t hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door

I don’t care

What they’re going to say
Let the storm rage on,
The cold never bothered me anyway

It’s funny how some distance

Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can’t get to me at all

It’s time to see what I can do

To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I’m free*


The post modern world says "I can choose whatever I want to believe in.  I can decide for myself what is wrong and what is right.  No one can tell me what to do.  I need to do what's best for me."  It's a self absorbed world we live in when our actions and our emotions decide what's true and what's right for "me."

Notice what brings freedom in this song?  No right- no wrong- no rules.

This song is a perfect example of the lies Satan feeds us.  When we believe that we ourselves can choose whatever it is we want to do- that we are in complete control of our lives- and that freedom comes from the absence of rules or expectations on our lives we fall into the same exact trap that Adam and Eve fell into the garden.  We want to become more like God by having control over our own lives.  But- as Adam and Eve realized and  some of us still realize today- the lies of Satan don't bring the freedom he promises.  It brings bondage.

People look at God as a big old meany who creates strict rules for us to follow and then waits around to punish us when we screw up.

That's not the God I see in the Bible.  That's not the God I have experienced in my life.  The God I see in the Bible actually loves me.  He created me out of love.  Out of love He has put boundries up for my protection and my health so that I may live a life of joy and peace on this beautiful earth He has set me on.  His "rules" are like the ones I set in place for my children.  "Don't run out into middle of a busy street."  When I tell my 5 year old kid this it's not to take away her freedom.  Though she may feel that way.  I tell her that because I know better than her about the world of cars and danger.  I tell her so that she will live a long life- a safe life- a healthy life.

Which sounds like more freedom to you?  One designed to follow a creator who loves me and cherished me and plans a prosperous life for me here as well as eternity?  Or a life where I control everything because I of course know the best for me?

The thing that amazes me about the movie frozen is that Elsa- the same girl who sang the song "Let it Go" is the one who realizes in the end that true love casts out fear.  I John 4:17-18 says, "This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus.18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love."

Elsa in the movie realizes that letting it all go isn't really what she wants and doesn't bring about true freedom.  We need to realize that true freedom is found in Christ and not in being self absorbed.  A life of obedience to God isn't about rules and regulations.  It's about walking within His boundries which are designed to give me true freedom.  Freedom from the bondage of sin.  Freedom from self.  Freedom to love and serve God all the days of my life.  Freedom to choose what is truly best and healthy for my life.  His best.  The only things I want to "Let Go" of is self and sin.  I want to hang on tightly to the God who loves me so much He took my punishment on Himself and showed me immeasurable grace and mercy and gives me true freedom.

*Excerpt from Disney's Frozen "Let it Go", 2013.


No comments: